Cut a new bone nut for the AL2000

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
devdem
Reactions:

A while back I put GFS Classic II's in this AL and gigged it. I almost put it up for sale, as I've got 3 other LP style guitars, but all those are A5's. I got lazy sort of and decided to just upgrade the bone nut and keep it. This guitar definitely sounds lighter and more jangly than all the others. So pics...
IMG_1258.JPG
Couldn't figure out what was sticking to the bottom. Sliver of rosewood still there until I popped the old nut off.
IMG_1260.JPG
Got my favorite dog bone out and started cutting....
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
Note the new scratches I installed at the same time :) (protect the paint, people....)
IMG_1272.JPG
devdem
Reactions:

Letting the glue set up. If I put string pressure on, it takes the nut slightly out of square in the slot.
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG
Milkman
Reactions:

Nice! You’ve just reminded me that I want/need to cut a new nut for my Godin SD24. I’m thinking of cutting the slots wide to accept very heavy gauge strings, so I can keep it tuned way down to experiment with that a bit (mostly because my voice is so low).
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
devdem
Reactions:

That's a gorgeous Tele. Yeah, get to cuttin'.... I botched the first blank I cut from the dog bone today. I'll reuse it for a tele/strat nut sometime.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Nice work!

I've got 5 bone blanks somewhere, have not found them yet!!
Want to try my first go at it for the SX Liquid.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Partscaster
Reactions:

"Luthier Of The Day " award.
Thats beautiful.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
devdem
Reactions:

Thanks. I always have one or two things I goof up, in this case a few things. But in the end it was fun and I think it helped a bit in filling out the sound a bit more. The graphite/plastic nut wasn't very impressive.